Pageviews past week

Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Old Days

To start welcome. I'm going to focus my first post on some older work I've done and go from there.

I don't know when I started doing art, I have no snazzy background story about how I started and then never wanted to stop. I just do it and I'm glad I do.  Due to other conflicts and issues I didn't get to study art in high school and so I haven't had much formal training. Now that I'm in college though I'm working hard and learning so much! Everything is improving everyday! I strongly suggest learning how to draw and improving as much as you can, even if it's not for your career there's always a use for art in someones life.  It's really something that can connect people.


So work I did on my own in high school was, for the most part, black and white.  I didn't really know very much about color theory, and not being able to study it also caused a hindrance. 

These first pieces don't even really count as art, I mean at the time I may have thought them as "being done" but I mean seriously. These are sketchbook pieces, which for some reason I went through a delusional stage where I thought that meant "book where I keep all my pieces of art and everything is to be finished and gorgeous.  But there is no such thing as a perfect sketchbook, and that's just a fact you have to get used to.
But a little bit about these.  I liked dragons and little rabbit fox things in high school, like a lot. Magic was something I loved. So hence those little pieces of work... And the apples, hand, and tree were just practice.  The girl is actually my sister. I drew here while we were in church.  It was hilarious to see how still and stoic she began to be when she noticed I was drawing her.

Not everything was this shabby throughout my younger years though. I did actually do a few projects that I finished and weren't in my sketchbook. The majority of these were also black and white though. So i needed help with color at the time.

The thing I do like about these is actually the techniques used. I did a variety instead of just getting procedural good at something and sticking to that.  It's much better for an artist to give several things a try instead of just saying, I'm going to draw fish and this is how I do it.  We all have a style, but that's much different than just a permanent way to draw something.

 I did just diagonal lines for Lincoln, or used a fine point sharpie for my stipple work.  For the eye, which I do admit doesn't look like much, I used a razor blade and pastels, which is the only reason I'd include it is just to show a variety of medium choice.

The pinkies one I just found funny... Because that's just how it works sometimes.  You can also check me out on deviantart.com. My user is DevaMoon.  So go take a look at that.  This post is solely for the tracking of improvement. And proof that you can improve and your drawing now is not actually permanent.








No comments:

Post a Comment